Thursday, June 14, 2012

The Immortal Rules - Julie Kagawa

Title: The Immortal Rules
Author: Julie Kagawa
Release Date: April 24th, 2012, Hardcover
Publisher: Harlequin Teen
Group: Young Adult Literature
Rating:
 
Allison Sekemoto survives in the Fringe, the outermost circle of a vampire city. By day, she and her crew scavenge for food. By night, any one of them could be eaten.

Some days, all that drives Allie is her hatred of them. The vampires who keep humans as blood cattle. Until the night Allie herself is attacked—and given the ultimate choice. Die… or become one of the monsters. Faced with her own mortality, Allie becomes what she despises most. To survive, she must learn the rules of being immortal, including the most important: go long enough without human blood, and you will go mad.

Then Allie is forced to flee into the unknown, outside her city walls. There she joins a ragged band of humans who are seeking a legend—a possible cure to the disease that killed off most of humankind and created the rabids, the mindless creatures who threaten humans and vampires alike. But it isn’t easy to pass for human. Especially not around Zeke, who might see past the monster inside her. And Allie soon must decide what—and who—is worth dying for.
*************************************************************
Possibly one of the best vampire books that I have ever read. I just loved everything about this book. Julie Kagawa is the master of storytelling. She sets this book into four different parts and each one tells a different story that Allison goes through. I am a major fan of Julie Kagawa's Iron Fey series, so I knew for sure that I would love this book as well. It just sounds so awesome; I mean it's a post apocalyptic about vampires. My two favorite things to read about.

The story starts off with Allison being human living as an Unregistered in a vampire run town called New Covington. She lives with her friends; Stick, Lucas, and Rat, scouts for food, and trying to stay clear of the vampires and their pet humans. But once Allison and her friends get attacked by the rapids, a vampire named Kannin who gives her a choice to live as a vampire or die as a human. She chooses to be a vampire and that is when the actual story begins.

I know that a lot of people are tired of vampires, but it seems like I can never get enough of them. They are my favorite paranormal creature to read about. But I really enjoyed how Julie Kagawa portrayed them in this book. They can get burned in the sun, they have an uncontrollable urge for blood, and they are monsters. Usually a lot of Young Adult books portray them as something glamorous, but not in this book. The whole idea behind the history of vampires in this book was very interesting. I also loved how it was told to us, it wasn't some boring over load of information but actually really entertaining. A lot of that probably comes from Kannin. I know that he wasn't in the book a lot, but there is just something about him that has me very intrigued. I cannot wait to read more about him in the next book.

While there were some boring parts in this book, I did not want to put the book down until I knew what was going to happen next. I wondered what was going to happen once we met Zeke, Ruby, and Jeb. While I did like some of the people in the group, I mostly just became annoyed a lot of the time especially with Ruby. Oh my gosh was she annoying. I just wanted to jump into the pages of the book and stick up for Allison. I couldn't stand her[And I hate to say this but I didn't feel bad when she died. I was actually relived (hide spoiler)]. I felt the same way with Jeb. There was this part where Jeb physically beats Zeke and it just made me cringe. However, Caleb and Bethany were adorable. I loved reading about them.

I did enjoy Allison and Zeke's relationship. It wasn't none of that: "HEY, I just met you. And this is crazy, but I'm a vampire will you love me maybe?" LOL. Okay, maybe it wasn't that funny. But I did love them together. It took time and they progressed in a relationship. I didn't really feel the chemistry between Allie and Zeke till she saved his life from the raiders. That is when I was totally on the Zeke and Allison train.

Overall, I really enjoyed this book. I am just dying for the next book. If you liked or loved Julie's Iron Fey series, then I know that you will fall in love with this story and characters too. This is a dark but beautiful story.

Plot:
Characters:
Writing:
Ending:
Cover:

1 comment:

  1. I really enjoyed the first book in the Iron Fey series so I think I will check this book out. I've heard a lot of good things about it. Great review :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...